Facing an unplanned pregnancy can feel overwhelming. Your mind may be full of questions, and if you’ve had an abortion in the past but don’t want another one, you might be wondering what your options are.
Getting all of the facts is the first step to protecting your health and making an informed decision.
Should I Place My Child for Adoption?
Perhaps you’ve heard about the adoption option but aren’t sure about the details. Adoption can be a beautiful way to create a family, but it can come with some challenges. Some women find that placing their child for adoption can be a bittersweet and difficult experience. Luckily, there are different types of adoption plans that can help make the transition smoother and allow you to form a relationship with the child.
The adoption options include:
- Open adoption: With this form of adoption, you get to remain in contact with the child and their adoptive family, as well as form a relationship with them. You get to make the decisions and exercise control over the process. In some cases, you can even choose the family the child will be placed with. This plan is best for women who would like to be more involved.
- Semi-open adoption: In a semi-open adoption, you have contact with the child and their family, but all communication is carried out through a third party such as an adoption agency or attorney. This is an excellent option for women who would like to form a relationship but also prioritize their privacy.
- Closed adoption: A closed adoption does not involve any contact, and all adoption records and information are sealed. This is a good plan for women who wish to remain anonymous.
One thing many people don’t realize about adoption is that the cost is completely covered by the adoptive parents and the birth parents do not need to pay anything for the adoption process.
If you are unsure of which adoption plan might be right for you, speaking with a trusted professional will help to answer any questions you may have.
Should I Parent?
Parenting can be a beautiful journey, but it does not come without its challenges! You may be wondering whether you’ll be a good parent. This is a common feeling among many people, but with the right support and resources, you can become a wonderful parent to your child.
Consider the following questions when thinking about the parenting option:
- Do I have a strong support system in place?
- Am I financially able to raise a child?
- Do I have access to the resources I need?
At Women’s Pregnancy Options, we can provide you with the referrals and resources you need to be an excellent, prepared parent. We also provide no-cost parenting classes with topics such as breastfeeding and positive partnerships. When taking these classes, you’ll be able to earn credits that you can use towards items such as maternity and infant clothes.
Have More Questions?
If you have more questions about your pregnancy options and would like to speak with someone, our trained advocates are here for you!
Contact us today to make an appointment.